Monday 8 April 2024

TIME - A RANDOM LP SELECTION


"I've been mad for fucking years. Absolutely years. Over the edge..."

 I'm pleased to announce that in a poll conducted on whether we should do a post series on the records I own, 50% of readers expressed interest and in fact indicated that they would actively read and listen to selected tracks:



Just to explain to the casual reader, the "I'll have a listen ... as I mop" statement was made as Robert the catholic goes by the new title 'Doctor of mopping' because he is a commercial cleaner by trade. There was no intended double entendre there.

In deference to the other 50% of active readership - the old guy in Wainuiomata who has no interest in social history, we've decided not to write a post on every one of the 500 LPs and a couple of hundred 45s and 78s as this would mean a daily post for two years. We will instead select some random discs and tell the story of those from time to time.

************

Coincidentally or serendipitously I picked up Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side of the Moon when I went to the snooker room and have selected the track 'Time' for you.



Most people who have ever bought rock/pop records will have purchased this album or at least have heard of it. Saying that though it probably is new to Robert as there are no overt references to god other than the fact that the general theme is madness.

I bought this album sometime around Christmas in 1973. Most of the tracks had been heavily broadcast on radio during the year after the album release in March but it wasn't until I spent Christmas and New Year in Brisbane where my younger cousin had recently purchased it and played almost nothing else as we lazed around their swimming pool. I was enchanted and bought the album as soon as I got home.

I don't often play this album (I have since bought it on CD), preferring The Wall when I do listen to Pink Floyd but from time to time (see what I did there?) a listen takes me back decades to my university life.

After cleaning with isopropyl alcohol the disc is perfectly playable and I'm enjoying it once more.








This post is brought to you
by ISOCOL antiseptic isopropyl alcohol



2 comments:

  1. "This post is brought to you
    by ISOCOL antiseptic isopropyl alcohol."
    Is that as good as a Cleanskin?

    Richard (of RBB)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to put a comment warning on this blog. It will be along the lines of:

      "We don't condone smartass behaviour on this blog and ask readers to think carefully before writing."

      Something like that

      Delete

A DIAMOND IN THE SMOOTH

  Richard (of RBB) mentioned in his most recent post that he would be playing violin at a wedding this weekend. "I'm off to a weddi...