Sunday 7 April 2024

"I'M GONNA START TODAY"

 


I've been waiting for The Old Girl to go away on her trip so that I could get the cartons of LPs out of the shed and clean them up and sort them.


Here are some of them and you can see that I've already started to make a mess hence waiting for Lynn to be away.


There are quite a few cartons of these - I'm not sure how many records but I used to have about 500. I've given away a lot and suspect that some cartons have been lost in the many house shifts we've done over the years.

I said that I'd clean them up and sort them but, on looking at the task I think I'll reverse that and sort them first before cleaning and straightening.

LP between glass, after cleaning, that can go in the oven

I'll sort them into piles:

  • Investigate value and look to sell if a collector item
  • Keep good ones and favourites
  • Repack second choice ones and store away again
  • Take straight and relatively clean ones to the op- shops to give away
  • Dump any left-over rubbish.
This means that I'll only put cleaning and straightening effort into the first two categories which I expect to be about a hundred of them.

The cleaning process, using isopropyl alcohol and microfibre cloths might take about 5 minutes for each disc.
Flattening them between glass and gently heating in the oven will take at least a half hour for each so, you can see that it will take a while.

I bought a new stylus and have been playing some favourites already (Ben Webster's Blue Light, Jeanne Lewis's Looking Backwards To Tomorrow and Verdi's Rigoletto (which we will be going to see in Auckland in a few months time). They played nicely with a quick clean and the new stylus so I'm looking forward to rediscovering some great music. The amp and speakers are still working well.

While I'm missing The Old Girl I'll be in 'hog's heaven' for the next few weeks.




5 comments:

  1. White bait is cheap today,
    Cheaper than yesterday.

    Richard (of RBB)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but they're a bugger to gut and fillet. I'll stick with snapper thanks.

      Delete
  2. Boring.

    Angry Jesus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean boning AG? It'd be hard to bone a whitebait.

      Delete
  3. I know that it's only Day One but I have made some progress in selection and some cleaning.
    I've discovered that I need to fix fidelity issues with the stereo system and will, tomorrow, sort out the wiring of the amp to the speakers. I noticed also that there's a lot of dust and cobwebs at the back of the stereo that need cleaning. Where's Robert the christian cleaner when you need him? Hold on, hold on - I've just remembered that I've arranged a house clean before The Old Girl gets back - they should be able to sort that out leaving me with time to .... clean the 45s, 78s and older records that I brought in from the shed. These will be a challenge with scratches on the 45s and a lot of dirt on the 78s and others that might need a bit more thorough cleaning than the 33s. Oops again! i just noticed that this comment is becoming a bit of a post so will need to stop here and look to post again as Day Two or something. Please ignore this comment in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete

TAYLOR SWIFT'S MUSIC IS SHIT

  Readers may have noticed that I'm an old bastard and, while I like music in many different styles and genres I haven't kept up to ...