Tuesday 11 July 2023

"STEADY ON, IT'S ONLY PALMERSTON NORTH" *

 Robert look away now. This post has positive references to an article in the latest New Zealand Listener.



Richard will be interested though. The article is about Don McGlashan's coming national tour and profiles his musical career. This covers his work with familiar bands like Blam Blam Blam, The Mutton Birds, The Front Lawn, From Scratch, The Plague, The Whizz Kids, and musicians Harry Sinclair, Mark Bell, Tim Mahon and others. I'd like to see him and will check out the dates and venues.

There are lots of McGlashan's songs I like. They fit nicely in the New Zealand music history and stand up well to international offerings.


Remember Don't Fight It Marsha, It's Bigger Than Both Of Us ?:


That song reminds me of the Australian band Mental As Anything's song If You Leave Me Can I Come Too:



They all look so young!


It's worth a read and, like me, a trawl through YouTube to listen again to some great songs. 



* "We'd all get up and go crazy and at the end of the night everybody on stage would be crying and hugging each other. One night, somebody from the audience said, "Steady on, it's only Palmerston North." I always remember that."

- Don McGlashan ' The road, his dominion'.  - NZ Listener

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I read it. There's also a great article on abortion by Charlotte Grimshaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another article Robert won’t read.

      Delete
    2. I just read Charlotte Grimshawes column. In one page (I didn't count the words) she nails two different but related topics. Robert should read this if he could get over his stance of being against the NZ Listener because the articles are too short (this from someone with the attention span of a goldfish unless it is about the virgin Mary, Jesus, god or holy spirit). If nothing else it might balance out the (mis)information about abortion and women's rights that he receives from the sermon at Sunday Mass.

      Delete
  2. A good article would discuss abortion from both sides, I bet Grimshawe's column doesn't mention that most scientists now believe that life begins at conception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sparky, you might find out if you read it.

      Delete

TAYLOR SWIFT'S MUSIC IS SHIT

  Readers may have noticed that I'm an old bastard and, while I like music in many different styles and genres I haven't kept up to ...