Monday 9 January 2023

"THINGS WERE DESPERATE UP NORTH"

Being indoors on a rainy day - actually a long rainy week I watched videos and documentaries on YouTube on the TV. One of the docos I watched was about pop/rock music from the 1960s and 1970s and the emergence of 'concept' albums.

This gave me a great idea that I thought that I'm obliged to share with you. Maybe The Music Curmudgeon could write 'concept' blog posts. BINGO!

The first will be  a look at what songs are applicable to each day of the week. Now I'm not saying that these are definitive as there are just so many songs out there with days of the week in the titles - they are my choices and, in some cases the overwhelming most popular choices.

 

MONDAY

There are lots of songs about Monday but we would be remiss for not selecting the Mama's and Poppa's song 'Monday Monday'.

It's not my favourite but in this concept series we will often be looking at the most popular options.


I prefer 'Blue Monday' by New Order


 TUESDAY

The 'biggie' of course is 'Tuesday Afternoon' by The Moody Blues. Back in about 1969 I would have voted this top as well.



I prefer The Pogues 'Tuesday Morning' now. The sound is a lot like the 'Dunedin' sound in 1980's New Zealand released by Flying Nun Records as popularised by The Verlaines, The Chills, Toy Love and The Clean. great stuff.



WEDNESDAY

It's hard to go past the talented Paul Simon and 'Wednesday Morning 3AM' is still good and no doubt the most popular of the Wednesday songs.

Charles Mingus' s 'Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting' is pretty damned good though. Mingus isn't first favourite of mine in Jazz music (too much damned double bass) but I was listening to him on Miles Davis's 'Blue Moods' album the other night while I was playing snooker (the stereo system is in the snooker room).


THURSDAY

Maybe not the 'biggie' here but, in its day DD Smash's 'Outlook for Thursday' was pretty popular. Dave Dobbyn, like Neil Finn is a really good songwriter. I like this.


For something a bit darker though with some scary undercurrent check out David Bowie's 'Thursday's Child'. Be careful.


FRIDAY

For guys of our age there's no contest for the first pick. The Easybeats 'Friday On My Mind' pretty much defined the 1960s and our priorities. Still sounds damned good.


In later years though I discovered Steely Dan which, to me, is the best by far rock/pop band. I'm so glad I saw Becker and Fagen playing in Auckland a few years ago before Walter Becker died.


SATURDAY

Yes I know Elton John is famous for his 'Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting' song but Elton John's not for me. I'll go back to David Bowie whose 'Drive In Saturday' was just as big and a whole lot better. This is really good - buddy!


'Saturday Night At The Movies' by The Drifters is classy but for older class I'll go with Sam Cooke's 'Another Saturday Night'. Lovely.


SUNDAY

The 'biggie' no doubt is U2's 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' and I'd better put it here because I did say that we'd be looking at the most popular options.


For me though, my youth was defined by the 1960s British music from the likes of Cream, Traffic, Rolling Sones etc but especially The Small Faces. This song, 'Lazy Sunday Afternoon' I adored when at school in about the fifth form.




I trust that you enjoyed this 'concept'. who knows it could be extended into months of the year, seasons of the year (Vivaldi and Stravinsky wrote some tunes about these), planets (Holst will be at the forefront there but The Moody Blues could give him a run for his money not to mention Alabama 5 with 'Woke Up This Morning').


Stay posted!




12 comments:

  1. "Stay posted!"

    And try to stay awake. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was a very, setting a new standard for bloggers. All the way through I was thinking "he's not going to find a song for everyday of the week". Then I thought "surely he won't find songs for the weekend!" I haven't got time at the moment to listen as I am off to earn the basic wage cleaning. But I intend to listen when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert. I thought that it was a very as well. The Very flare gun was 'very' influential in highlighting problems through many decades and was a shining light that brought solace and security to perhaps millions of people. The Curmudgeons Inc., in our humble way try to emulate this. We appreciate your acknowledgement.

      Delete
  3. "I thought it was a very,"
    The next word before the comma would have been the important one.
    Okay, you can choose one of the following:
    good interesting boring long shit confusing presumptuous bland childish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re just jealous because all of the adjectives describing your posts are derogatory.

      Delete
    2. Hey, you CAN use the office when The Old Girl is away.

      Delete
    3. Right - just for that comment I'm coming to Wellington to visit.
      That'll teach you, Matey.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Does Shelley know that you use words like that? If she did I'm sure that she would tell you to put your big boys pants on and speak bloody English.

      Delete

TAYLOR SWIFT'S MUSIC IS SHIT

  Readers may have noticed that I'm an old bastard and, while I like music in many different styles and genres I haven't kept up to ...