Sunday 26 July 2020

"MAYBE I'M AMAZED" ....

...... at the good music that's coming out nowadays - particularly New Zealand music.

After decades of crap, mass produced and formulaic music made by the industry for young teen girls and tweenies we are now seeing singer/songwriters coming out with seriously good stuff. With the way that the recording industry has gone these people are very unlikely to make much money out of this quality art - maybe that's the point. If an industry isn't throttling musical output, and allowing at long last artists to do their own stuff then art is the winner.

I was listening to Reb Fountain on the radio yesterday with her WOMAD performances. Great.


Fountain joins my list of newish New Zealand performers who are putting out some seriously good music - Aldous Harding, Marlon Williams, Lawrence Arabia, Nadia Reid - along with the tried and true Gin Wigmore, Neil Finn, Emma Paki, Hollie Smith and others including members of the talented Prowse clan.


I get a buzz out of hearing a new (to me) artist on National Radio and thinking 'Wow" and then discovering that it is a local.

I like songs that have a bit of an edge to them - that are not schmaltzy, saccharine and computer generated. 


3 comments:

  1. I'm guessing they are hair dressers.. I can not hear the lyrics! It's really annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You never know who's listening at the gates of Hell
    They're just like video stores, press, rewind, delete
    On those that don't work, that don't fit nice and neat
    In the future, we'd say he's worth something
    Hell, I could've been somebody
    Don't you know who I am?"

    ReplyDelete

A DIAMOND IN THE SMOOTH

  Richard (of RBB) mentioned in his most recent post that he would be playing violin at a wedding this weekend. "I'm off to a weddi...