Sunday 23 April 2023

A REQUIEM ...

 ... of sorts.

It doesn't have to have particular meaning but there's a sense here of relevance to a generation of people in my age bracket.


I listened to a couple of versions of "Shine on you crazy diamond" today and the music and theme is evocative and has a disturbing relevance.

The video clip above by Pink Floyd is impressive with Gerald Scarfe artwork (like in The Wall) and the music is nicely paced to creep up on you. I particularly like the saxophones.

The other version of the same piece of music is by Christy Moore which, without the big production and effects is more visceral and I can see people using this as a eulogy for lost ones at funerals in the way that W.H. Auden's powerful and moving 'Funeral Blues' poem was read by John Hannah.


Here's Christy Moore's rendition of "Shine on you crazy diamond."



Now there's class.

2 comments:

  1. Old and middle aged women lie about their ages as well Second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't know this of course but the person I'm loosely referencing here was 50 years old.

    ReplyDelete

TAYLOR SWIFT'S MUSIC IS SHIT

  Readers may have noticed that I'm an old bastard and, while I like music in many different styles and genres I haven't kept up to ...